Seaton in East Devon is mainly of Victorian and Edwardian architecture. The beach and promenade are approximately one mile long. The River Axe enters the sea at the eastern end of Seaton's beach. Until the 16th Century this had formed an important port until the estuary silted up. All that remains is a small harbour in the mouth of the river.
The Anglo-Saxons named many of their towns and villages with the end tag of 'ing', 'ton' or 'ham'. Presumably Seaton in Anglo-Saxon times simply meant 'Town by the Sea'.
Seaton also has a tramway, utilising an old disused branch line of London & South Western Railways. This line had originally been built to bring in holidaymakers from the main London to Exeter rail link, but was scrapped during the 1960's cutbacks of British Rail. This line runs along the Axe valley and estuary to the inland medieval market town of Colyton.
To the east of the river's estuary and extending slightly inland is the unspoilt village of Axmouth. Further to the east is Dowlands Landslip, a section of cliff which collapsed in 1839 on Christmas Day. A gash 6 miles long was left after an estimated 800 million tons of cliff fell. Now commonly known as the 'Undercliff', this area has since been colonised by a natural woodland.
The South West Coast Path
The South West Coast Path comes from the county of Dorset in the east, passing through Dowlands Slip. This is a very remote area through woodland. The path then enters East Devon, coming down into Seaton. It then leads out to the west and on towards Beer.
Good Beach Guide
Seaton, Devon...The sea water quality is rated as having passed the EC Mandatory Standard and receives a Recommendation (the highest award) from The Marine Conservation Society.